Stress is a major factor in many diseases and conditions. Pressures from daily life not only cause strain on our minds, but they manifest physically, as well. Add in the changes to our bodies and lifestyles throughout the aging process, plus incidents of injury, and stress can wear on us in many different ways. We experience stress through physiological responses, and repeat stressors can eventually contribute to a variety of health conditions. Massage therapy is one way to help prevent and treat these ailments, especially for Seniors who experience limited mobility and an increase in illness.
The body’s physiological response to stress includes:
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure
- Increased muscle tension
- Rapid breathing
- Digestive and Immune system suppression
- Increased stress hormones like cortisol
- Disrupted sleep
- Tiredness and fatigue
Health problems commonly associated with stress include:
- Chronic pain and tension
- Stomach and digestive problems
- Headache and migraines
- Hypertension and heart conditions
Seniors also experience reduced mobility and issues with circulation and nerve functioning, plus they are prone to more frequent injuries and falls. The relief and aid from home massage therapy services can help Seniors manage pain, illness, and reduce stress right in the comfort of home. This is because therapeutic touch and massage decreases stress and built up tension in the tissues and joints and lessens the effects of various disorders on the body and mind. These effects are not just felt during a session, but they can provide lasting relief.
Integracare provides home health care services in the Toronto area and the wider GTA, with person-centered care plans provided by Registered Massage Therapists (“RMTs”), Registered Physiotherapists, Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses and Personal Support Workers. Below are some of the specific benefits of massage therapy provided by our RMTs in the privacy of your or your loved one’s home.
- Stimulation of the nervous system by triggering the release of endorphins, hormones like serotonin and dopamine, and neurotransmitters.
- Increased blood circulation, especially to the limbs and extremities which can become numb and experience nerve pain as we age.
- Softening and working tight muscles and tissues with the help of increased blood flow and improved flexibility.
- Better balance and decreased risk of falling through an improvement of proprioception caused by the increased circulation and sensation in limbs.
- Increased sense of connection from much needed human touch. Many seniors experience loneliness from a loss of a partner or other social connections, and touch increases that sense of caring that the body needs.
- Massage can also potentially help with stroke recovery, improve sleep, offer immune support, increase mobility and appetite, and relieve arthritic and other chronic pain. This also potentially decreases the need for pain medication.
Integracare is committed to providing high quality, individualized, private home healthcare in Toronto in whatever location you or your loved one calls home. We aim to vastly improve the quality of life and promote joy in the lives of Seniors who wish to live independently. Our Caregivers are registered or certified professionals who are highly screened, trained, and supervised 24/7 by Nursing Coordinators. We offer compassionate, trustworthy, knowledgeable, and dependable care based on the needs and beliefs of our Clients and their families. Ask how our Registered Massage Therapists can help you or your loved one.